Born in 1982, Jane Margaret began painting with Ngaruwanajirri Artists.
She moved to Pirlangimpi in 2014 to live with her two sisters Simplicia and Pamela who take care of her. Jane was working as an artist on Bathurst Island at the Ngaruwanajirri Inc before she moved to work with Munupi Arts in Pirlangimpi. She is always thinking about her paintings before she does them. Painting has is her therapy, good for her hands and her mind. She also loves music and dancing. She has a beautiful soul with a beautiful smile and always likes to make new friends. She likes her sister Simplicia to tell her cultural stories and then she makes up her own ones too. At times she chooses to paint for Ngaruwanajirri.
Ngaruwanajirri Incorporated is an arts centre in the community of Wurrumiyanga on Bathurst Island. Ngaruwanajirri, which means ‘helping one another’ in Tiwi, was established in 1994. It was originally set up for disabled Tiwi residents but now includes all artists, with the original artists working with traditional wood carvers. Art created includes natural ochre paintings on paper and canvas, batik on silk, lino prints on paper and fabric and ironwood carvings. Many paintings and carvings from Ngaruwanajirri, including tutini poles for Pukumani ceremonies, have been exhibited in Darwin, interstate and overseas. Works reside in private collections and art galleries both nationally and internationally.
Jane Margaret’s CV:
- 2019 Pupuni Jilamara Nginingwula, Double Tree, Darwin, NT
- 2018 Yoi-Tanz im Mondenschein, Artkelch, Freiburg, Germany
- 2018 Palaner – Aboriginal Art Der Tiwi, Artkelch, Freiburg, Germany
- 2018 Nginingawula Awirankini Waki, Double Tree, Darwin, NT
- 2017 Earth Matters, Form: The Goods Shed, Claremont, WA
- 2017 Yirringinkiri Pwoja, Couble Tree by Hilton, The Esplanade, Darwin
- 2017 Kiripapuranjuwi (Skilled Hands), Red Dot Fine Art Gallery, Singapore
- 2016 Point of Difference, Desert to Sea, Artitja Fine Art, Perth, WA
- 2016 Ngawila Jilamara, Double Tree by Hilton, Darwin
- 2015 Alfonso Puaujimi: Tiwi Artist, Aboriginal and Pacific Art, Waterloo, Sydney
- 2013 Alfonso & Jane, Nomad Art, Darwin NT
- 2011 Ngaruwanajirri: Helping One Another. Charles Darwin University Art Gallery, Casuarina, NT
- 2006 Ngaruwanajirri Group Exhibition, Supreme Court, Darwin
- 2006 From the Edge, Ivan Dougherty Gallery, College of Fine Arts University of NSW
- 2005 Ngaruwanajirri 2005 works on paper by Tiwi Artist from Bathurst Island, Aboriginal and Pacific Art, Sydney
- 2003 Artist in Residence Exhibition, Coomalie Cultural Centre, Batchelor, Nt
- 2000 Good Food-Sea Food: Pupuni Yinkiti Arimuwu Kapi Winga, Artback NT 1996-2000 Works on Paper – Travelling exhibition funded and organised by Artback NT